This can be a bride and grooms worst nightmare! The last thing any couple want to do is go chasing guests to find out if they are attending or not, but unfortunately this is happening more often than you’d think. I’ve put together a few points that should help make the process a little easier on you both.
First of all…Why do you need to know by the date shown?
- The Venue/Caterers will need to have you final number by a certain date, you don’t want to be leaving this too late and having them calling you when you don’t have your numbers ready.
- Venue Decor – If you are getting your tables or chairs done in a particular design then you need to know numbers for table and how many tables and chairs are needed.
- Table/Seating Charts – This can change so so many times and speaking from experience also of couples have left this to days before their wedding and leaving themselves under a lot of unnecessary pressure. Give yourself time to organise your tables, ask you venue for rough numbers on tables and start on this after you have sent out your invitations. It’s easier then to just remove a few than to start.
What can you do?
- Shorten the date – Invitations are out 8 weeks before your date then give your guests 3-4 weeks to reply, any longer than that your invitation might be forgotten about.
- RSVP Cards – Make them fun or ask a question to promote a reply. Ask for song requests maybe?
- Blame the Venue – Maybe have a line explaining that the venue needs to know by this date?
- Loads of options – Have as many ways to reply as possible on there so they have no excuses!
- Give Treats – Tell them you will get a special treat on the day if you reply on time. Even if its a little chocolate treat or something personal to say thanks.
- Snap me – Adding fun to the reply by asking them to take a picture of the reply and send it to you. Might help with younger guests.
What to do after the date?
- Asking your guests – If you have to ask your guests for their reply here is a way to do it without being too pushy. “I hope you got your invitation, can’t wait to get your rsvp card back”.
If you are a guest
- ALWAYS, ALWAYS reply on time. Remember this is a stressful time for this couple and they have made it as easy as possible to get your reply back.
- If you’re not sure – Just explain to the couple if you need more time that way they can put you in the maybe pile and come back to you when they need their numbers in.